Sony HX20v Review
Sony Hx20v is a pocket-size point & shoot digital camera with the ability to take extremely close close-ups . It can capture highly detailed pictures and Full HD 1080/60p videos.
It expands your photographic creativity with its 20x Optical Zoom, Picture & Photo Creativity Effects, 3D Still Images, 3D Sweep Panorama modes and the ability to take superior low-light stills and videos even in deepest night time.
On this site; you can find everything you need to know about Sony HX20v digital camera to make intelligent decision on buying it. You can read here descriptions and explanations of its best features, specs, customer opinions and even you can find two video reviews below.
…though, if you are looking for the best price on Sony HX20v camera, Amazon is undoubtedly the best place for you to save on your money.
Main Features Of The Sony HX20v Digital Camera
- 18.2MP Exmor R CMOS Image sensor
This translates into incredible detailed ultra-high definition vivid images made up in eighteen million image pixels so that you can see your video or photos even on 55-inch TV in total imperfection so that you can proudly show them!
- Super High speed AF
The other benefit of the Exmor R CMOS Image sensor is rapid sensor data processing. Sony has powered it up in Sony DSC-HX20v and now this model has much faster image processing than in the previous Sony camera models of this camera category.
The speed comes with the advanced Sony BIONZ image processor. The extra power in image processing results DSLR-like focusing speeds in Sony HX20v – even in low light condition.
- 20x Optical zoom plus Clear image zoom
This 20x optical zoom is over the usual optical zoom range which is 12x for a single lens camera in the pocket size camera category.
Just to give some ideas, with 20x zoom in Sony HX20v, you would be able to see the mountains on the moon, as Galileo did. He made his first telescope as 20x and with it, he was able to notice the mountains on the moon surface. So can you do that and if you wish you could even put them in photos.
The Clear Image zoom doubles the Sony Hx20v optical zoom to 40x. This advanced method achieves this zoom with powerfully comparing image patterns found in adjacent pixels and creating new pixels to match the patterns.
This method is also able to produce the increased zoom with much more realistic, higher-quality images compared to what is achievable with the usual electronic cropping method employed in other compact camera models.
- Full HD 1080/60p | Sony HX20v Review
This video quality means crystal clear, fast moving, crispy movies at the highest resolution available.
This video quality is the same what is used with cinema films. So, you do not have to worry; your High Definition movies can show up even on the largest sized HD TV in astonishing quality.
- Dual Recording Of Stills and Movies
You can shoot stills and movies, both at the same time. This is a brand new option on the market but it is rightly available in Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20v.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with 3-way Active Mode
Optical SteadyShot is an advances image stabilization technique used in Sony HX20v. This effectively reduces hand-shake caused blurs in both horizontal and vertical directions.
The Active 3-Way stabilization adds the digital rolling control that reduces the blurs caused by clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation of camera shaking.
With these methods, Sony HX20v could provide more stable videos even at long focal lengths.
- GPS and Compass | Sony HX20v Review
GPS and compass can provide location data and camera direction to your recorded movies and stills. You can set up your camera to record this data with your movies and stills as GPS Logs.
The GPS Logs with your images then track your photographic journey; so that later you can view your journey-path with the images on map.
Flicker, Google Earth or Google maps offer such options; you can upload your photos with GPS Log and can show to your friends your holiday trip-route with your photos on the map.
- 3D Still Image and 3D Sweep Panorama mode
These options produce creative, inspiring images.
The 3D Still Image mode combines 3 Photos to take on 3D dimension in the a 3D still.
The Panorama mode takes multiple images during the movement of the camera over the landscape and combines these images into one 3D image.
- Picture Effect
Sony Cyber-shot HX20v features the Picture Effect which is a creative photo option to make ordinary portraits or landscapes come to life by spicing up the mood and emphasizing the attributes.
You can view the Picture Effect in the viewfinder or on the camera’s monitor in real time before shooting.
- Photo Creativity | Sony HX20v Review
Photo Creativity in Sony Cyber-shot Dsc-HX20v allows you to fine-tune your photo-taking settings, such as color, and vividness, brightness, and quickly apply the right enhancement onto your photos.
The same is true here; the Photo Creativity effects can be viewed in real time in the viewfinder or on the camera’s monitor before shooting.
- Background Defocus
The Background Defocus is usually a DSLR option but Sony HX20v is able to provide it.
The camera takes two shots, identifies the background and applies a defocused background – keeping the subject crisp and clear.
- Superior Auto Mode
Superior Auto Mode is one of the strongest feature of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20v camera. The camera can select from 33 scenes for stills and from 44 for videos scenes in this mode.
In Superior Auto Mode, the camera automatically recognizes the correct scene, and quickly make a small series of shots per frame or still and combines up to six of them to produce a frame images or a still with optimum dynamic and greater clarity.
The underneath technology is Backlight Correction HDR and 6 shots layering technology to get noise reduction.
- Face Detection
Sony Hx20v applies Face Detection technology to detect up to eight individual faces and adjusts the camera settings like focus, exposure, and white balance to help deliver crisp, perfectly lit images taken of family and friends.
- Smile Shutter | Sony HX20v Review
Sony HX20v camera’s Smile Shutter feature captures a smile in progress. The adult and child priority selection setting can adjust the smile sensitivity to your photo subject.
It is easy to use; you only need to get your photo subject in the viewfinder and push the Smile Shutter button. The camera does the rest.
This option can be used in combination with the Super Auto mode. So the smile is taken with fully adjusted camera settings to the photo scene.
- Anti-blink Function
The Anti-blink Function of Sony Cyber-shot HX20v is very effective to avoid disappointing photos and later frustration on having captured blinks with the never returning photographing events. The Anti-blink function in Sony HX20v works to help counter squinting and blinks on images.
When taking photos with this function, the camera captures two images consecutively and records only the one which is with less blink and squint.
Technical Features Of Sony HX20v Digital Camera
- Optical Zoom: 20x
- Clear Image Zoom: 40x
- Lens: Sony G, F3.2(W)-5.8(T), Focal Length: f=4.45-89mm (converts to 25-500mm for f=35mm)
- Image Sensor: Exmor R CMOS Sensor, 1/2.3-inch
- Camera: Effective 18.2 Mega Pixels, Bionz Processor, Face Detection, Smile Shutter, Skin Soft Mode, Background Defocus, GPS, Backlight Correction HDR, Intelligent Sweep Panorama, 3D Sweep Panorama Mode, Manual Focus, Aperture Modes (iAuto, 2steps, Program Auto, Manual), Aperture Priority, Aperture Manual, Shutter Speed Auto Mode (iAuto, Program Auto), Exposure Control (+-2.0EV, 1/3EV step), Light Metering, Sharpness Saturation Contrast Settings, ISO100-12800
- White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent1, Fluorescent2, Fluorescent3, Incandescent, Flash, One Push, One Push Set, White Balance Shift
- Picture Effect: HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Toy camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Soft High-key, Watercolor, Illustration
- Scene Selection: Soft Snap, Soft Skin, Anti Motion Blur, Backlight Correction HDR, Night Portrait, Night Scene, High Sensitivity, Handheld Twilight, Beach, Snow, Fireworks, Gourmet, Pet Mode and Landscape
- SteadyShot and Optical SteadyShot
- Auto Focus System : AF Illuminator, On, Off
- Built-in Flash: Auto, Flash On, Slow Synchro, Flash Off
- Read-Eye Correction: Auto, On, Off
- LCD: 3-inch (7.5mm), TFT Xtra Fine Trublack, 921,600 pixels
- Recording Media (Option 1): Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo (high speed), Memory Stick PRO HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro (mark 2)
- Recording Media (Option 2): SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card, microSD Memory Card, microSDHC Memory Card
- Recording Formats: Image – JPEG, MPO; Video – AVCHD, MP4 (AVC)
- Playback: HD Playback, Slideshow, Trimming, Index Playback, Image Rotation, Auto Grouping & Best Picture Recognition
- Battery: Lithiun N System, NP-BG1 (Supplied)
- Software: PayMemory Home
- Product Dimensions: 106.6 x 61.9 x 34.6mm
- Weight: 221g(2.7oz) With Accessories 254g(9.0oz)
- Menu Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian , Turkish, Greek, Bulgarian, Croatian, Romanian
- Connections and Jacks: MicroUSB, Hi-Speed USB(USB2.0), Micro HDMI
- Supplied Accessories: Rechargeable Battery Pack (NP-BG1), AC Adapter (AC-UB10/UB10B), Micro USB Cable, Wrist Strap, Instruction Manual
What Do Buyers Think About Sony HX20v?
The market has very well accepted the new Sony HX20v, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20v/b camera model since Sony released it in April, 2012.
People see this camera as good value for money. It is not the cheapest but people feel that they can have far more better performing feature set and far more usable results in certain photo-taking conditions with Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20v than with the other competing camera models. These noted uses are low light conditions, making video or still involving broader zoom ranges or telephoto settings.
People like its versatile Auto modes, GPS geo-tagging option and Sweep Panorama and 3D photo modes.
People like to buy Sony HX20v as versatile travel zoom, pocket digital camera which is packed with lots of creative photography options.
Here are a couple of comments to date:
- “Best Camera I Ever Owned“
- “Takes beautiful pictures”
- “Nice camera with many features”
- “Wonderful Travel Zoom”
- “Another Gem by Sony!”
- “Great little camera. Better than the HX9V in many ways.”
To Read More Of These Buyer Reviews – Click Here
Who is The Sony HX20v Ideal For? | Sony HX20v Review
Sony HX20v is built for those that are looking for an intelligent pocket size camera which takes off the burden of finding out the best camera settings of photo-taking moments. It adjust its settings always for the best of results as possible and using it take stunning photos and videos.
It also be noted that this kind of use although does not exclude the professional users as they can also find Sony HX20v valuable – and they can switch to the manual settings if they wish.
One example of the typical beneficial users is a frequent traveler who wants to focus on the experience during his/her visits but also wants photos and videos in their excellence to be taken so that he/she can be proud to show.
The other typical beneficial use is a photographer (professional or not) who takes frequently or occasionally video shots or photos in concert arenas at nightclubs or other night-time events.
Sony HX20v is also ideal; who is looking for versatile creative photography options like large zoom, Panorama Modes, 3D photos.
Where To Find The Best Online Deal For The Sony HX20v?
The only two concerns users have are that the camera doesn’t come with a great-sized SD card and not even with an external charger- but even when buying both; a bigger storage SD card and an external charger; the Sony HX20v is still especially a bargain in all aspects, and anyway you can buy a 32GB or 64GB SD card and the external charger to suit your needs too.
The amazing video quality and resolution, the Superior Auto Mode, the built-in Extra High Sensitivity Technology, the lots of Artistic Effects and the exceptional large zoom makes this camcorder a must have for anyone who wants to own a versatile travel zoom digital camera with lots of easy to use professional, semi-professional features on-hands so that you be sure to be prepared for any photographic challenges; to take the exciting moments into the highest quality of digital photos and videos. So, to get these, you do not even need any experience in digital photography with Sony HX20v.
For the best deal online currently and more user reviews, visit Amazon. You can also pick up a good-sized SD card and the external charger while you are over there!